This is a bookbar! We are a WIFI-FREE zone, no, not Free Wifi, but NO Wifi, limited laptop and phone use. We sell wine, beer, cocktails, pour-over coffee, tea, spirits, small plates, cheese plates, hot dogs, ice cream, liberal arts books, and gifts. We also hold community events. Other than heating hot dogs, there is no cooking of food. Customers buy books, play games, type on old fashioned typewriters, play foosball and just communicate face to face. We also have a nonprofit partner, kibbitznest, that conducts liberal arts programming in our back space, and also sells used donated books.
Primary duties include: The bartender is responsible for preparing alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages, interacting with customers, taking orders and serving snacks and drinks, assessing bar customers’ needs and preferences and making recommendations. In addition, they must assist their co-workers with everything from making hot dogs to taking the trash out as needed. May also be called upon to be a shift leader on occasion.
Start Time: This position will be available July early to mid July 2019. There will be a training period.
Must be available to work these Days & Hours: Thursdays 6-11 or close, Saturdays 5-12 or close, as well as filling in on occasion for other bartenders
Career Level: at least two years experience
Education: some college preferred
Equipment: beer kegs, draft beer pouring, bar tools, cash register (ipad)
Bartender Knowledge, Skills, & duties
Bartenders must be able to move and handle glasses, bottles etc. with care and in a manner that they will not break.
They need to be able to follow drink recipes and mix ingredients in the appropriate quantities.
They need to have a good memory to be able to memorize orders and ensure that the right order gets to the right customer.
Good interpersonal skills are a must as they deal with the customers directly.
Must be able to perform simple mathematical calculations
Must be a team player
Outgoing, friendly and customer focused.
Works with speed, strong attention to detail, consistency and organization.
The ability to deal with difficult or intoxicated customers in a professional manner. Check age identification.
Restock bar inventory
Maintain a clean work area and bar counter
Be knowledgable about the beer, wine, spirits and food offered
Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time
When acting as a shift leader, back-up all team members in bartending, preparing the food, running food and drinks, working the register, cleaning tables and counters and all bar-back duties.
Customer Service: A friendly, relaxing demeanor, courteousness and quick service
Stamina: Long, busy days on your feet are the trademark of this job.
Teamwork: When acting as a shift leader they are part of a team. Being a team player is essential.
Leadership Skills: When acting as a shift leader, will have to keep employees motivated, resolve conflicts and make hard decisions.
Position: Food Prep/Dishwasher
Primary duties include: assembling cheese plates, cutting cheese and salami meats, heating and dressing hot dogs, cutting vegetables for hummus plate, toasting bread, machine washing of glasses and hand washing of some plates, bussing tables, general cleaning & some bar-backing
Must be available to work these Days & Hours: Wednesday & Thursday nights from 6 to 10:30pm, Saturdays 12-6pm
Career Level: at least 1 year experience
Education: high school or GED at least
Job Type: Part-time
Equipment: Experience with an electric meat slicer a plus
· Experience with food preparation (no cooking), proper knife handling, temperature control, and sanitation.
· Dishwashing, glass washing and table bussing experience
· Must be able to perform simple mathematical calculations
· Outgoing, friendly and customer focused.
· Works with speed, strong attention to detail , consistency and organization.
· Passion for quality, safety and sanitation
· Ability to work independently
· Effective Communication skills - Comprehension of English language
· Ability to be flexible with job demands and open minded when being asked to complete tasks.
· Must be a team player.
· Comfortable and pleasant demeanor in very busy environments.
· Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
· Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time
· Able to work weekends, holidays and late night hours.
· Follow all policies in the employee handbook & all Illinois food safety guidelines
· Essential Tasks & Responsibilities:
· Prepare all food items according to recipe cards and prep lists
· Washing dishes and bar glasses, racking dishes
· Assist as a barback and in server duties whenever needed with getting supplies and bussing tables.
· Assists in the general cleaning of bar area, kitchen and main floor areas as time permits.
· All food portions must be consistent with all plate and batch recipe specs.
· Adhere to proper food handling procedures.
· Maintain proper rotation of food to assure top quality and freshness.
· Cover, label, and properly store food according to Kibbitznest standards.
· Maintain clean and orderly refrigerators and work areas.
· Make sure the stations are properly cleaned, sanitized, and organized at the end of the shift (including cleaning of kitchen equipment and sweeping and mopping floor).
· Ensure that all kitchen tools, keys and equipment are returned to their designated secure area.
· Maintain a safe and sanitary work environment that conforms to all standards and regulations.
· Work with other members as a team. Maintain open, positive and effective communication with others.
· Perform closing responsibilities, storing and cleaning of all line items and restocking all areas assigned.
· Assist others in closing procedures.
· Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
· Safety First – Always observe safety first while working, and when handling any piece of equipment
· Report to scheduled shifts on time.
· Perform other barback, dish washer, cleaning & food prep responsibilities as assigned.
Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or come in with a physical copy.