Position: Food Prep/Dishwasher
This is a bookbar! We are a WIFI-FREE zone, no, not Free Wifi, but NO Wifi, no laptops and limited phone use. We sell wine, beer, cocktails, slow pour-over coffee, tea, spirits, small plates, cheese plates, hot dogs, ice cream, liberal arts books, and gifts. Other than heating hot dogs, there is no cooking of food. Customers buy books, play games, type on old fashioned typewriters, play foosball and just communicate face to face. We also have a nonprofit partner, kibbitznest, that conducts liberal arts programming in our back space, and also sells used donated books.
Primary duties include : assembling cheese plates and cutting cheese and salami meats, heating hot dogs, cutting vegetables for hummus plate, toasting bread, machine washing of glasses and hand washing of some plates, bussing tables, general cleaning and assisting bartenders as needed.
Must be available to work these Days & Hours: Saturday & Sunday afternoons, approx 1pm to 5pm, some Wednesday or Thursday evenings as needed 6pm-10pm
Career Level: at least one year experience
Education: high school or GED
Equipment : Experience with an electric meat slicer a plus
- Knowledge of food prep, proper knife handling, temperature control, and sanitation.
- Dishwashing, glass washing and table bussing experience
- Must be able to perform simple mathematical calculations
- Outgoing, friendly and customer focused.
- Works with speed , strong attention to detail , consistency and organization.
- Passion for quality, safety and sanitation
- Ability to work independently
- Effective Communication skills -
- Ability to be flexible with job demands and open minded when being asked to complete tasks.
- Must be a team player.
- Comfortable and pleasant demeanor in very busy environments.
- Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time
- Able to work weekends, holidays and late night hours.
- Follow all policies in the employee handbook & all Illinois food safety guidelines
- Essential Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Prepare all food items according to recipe cards and prep lists
- Washing dishes and bar glasses, racking dishes
- Assist as a barback and in server duties whenever needed with getting supplies and bussing tables.
- Assists in the general cleaning of bar area, kitchen and main floor areas as time permits.
- All food portions must be consistent with all plate and batch recipe specs.
- Adhere to proper food handling procedures.
- Maintain proper rotation of food to assure top quality and freshness.
- Cover, label, and properly store food according to Kibbitznest standards.
- Maintain clean and orderly refrigerators and work areas.
- Make sure the stations are properly cleaned, sanitized, and organized at the end of the shift (including cleaning of kitchen equipment and sweeping and mopping floor).
- Ensure that all kitchen tools, keys and equipment are returned to their designated secure area.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary work environment that conforms to all standards and regulations.
- Work with other members as a team. Maintain open, positive and effective communication with others.
- Perform closing responsibilities, storing and cleaning of all line items and restocking all areas assigned.
- Assist others in closing procedures as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
- Safety First – Always observe safety first while working, and when handling any piece of equipment
- Report to scheduled shifts on time.
- Perform other barback, dish washer, cleaning & food prep responsibilities as assigned.
Please email resume to email@example.com or come in and fill out an application.